The Resource The war that saved my life
- The war that saved my life
- Statement of responsibility
- by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
- trueEvacuation of civilians
- trueWorld War II home front
- trueWorld War II
- Children with disabilities -- Juvenile fiction
- Great Britain
- trueHistorical fiction
- trueFamilial love
- Basic reader
- Great Britain -- History -- George VI, 1936-1952 -- Fiction
- trueSecond World War era (1939-1945) -- 1939 -- 1945
- World War (1939-1945)
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Evacuation of civilians -- Fiction
- People with disabilities -- Fiction
- trueChild abuse
- Brothers and sisters -- Fiction
- trueGrief in women
- Brothers and sisters -- Juvenile fiction
- Great Britain -- History -- George VI, 1936-1952 -- Juvenile fiction
- truePeople with disabilities
- true1940s -- 1940 -- 1949
- Juvenile works
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Evacuation of civilians -- Great Britain -- Juvenile fiction
- truePersistence in girls
- Evacuation of civilians (1939-1945 : World War)
- trueBrothers and sisters
- trueGreat Britain -- History -- George VI, 1936-1952
- A young disabled girl and her brother are evacuated from London to the English countryside during World War II, where they find life to be much sweeter away from their abusive mother
- "Nine-year-old Ada has never left her one-room apartment. Her mother is too humiliated by Ada's twisted foot to let her outside. So when her little brother Jamie is shipped out of London to escape the war, Ada doesn’t waste a minute--she sneaks out to join him. So begins a new adventure of Ada, and for Susan Smith, the woman who is forced to take the two kids in. As Ada teaches herself to ride a pony, learns to read, and watches for German spies, she begins to trust Susan--and Susan begins to love Ada and Jamie. But in the end, will their bond be enough to hold them together through wartime? Or will Ada and her brother fall back into the cruel hands of their mother?" -- Publisher's description
- ALA Notable Children's Book, 2016
- Golden Sower Award (Nebraska), Grades 4-6, 2017.
- Isinglass Teen Read Award (New Hampshire), 2016.
- Josette Frank Award, 2016.
- Mark Twain Award (Missouri), 2018.
- Massachusetts Children's Book Award, 2018.
- Maud Hart Lovelace Book Award (Minnesota), Division II (Grades 6-8), 2018.
- Nutmeg Children's Book Award, Intermediate category, 2018.
- Parents' Choice Award for Fiction, 2015
- Schneider Family Book Award for Middle School, 2016.
- Sequoyah Book Awards (Oklahoma), Intermediate Books, 2018.
- Sunshine State Young Reader's Award (Florida), 2018.
- Virginia Readers' Choice Award for Middle School, 2018.
- Awards note
- Newbery Honor Book, 2016
- Schneider Family Book Award for Middle School, 2016
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- War 2015
- Literary form
- Reading level
- Study program name
- Accelerated Reader
- Target audience
- pre adolescent
ContextContext of The war that saved my life
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The war that saved my life
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://uncle-remus.library.link/resource/o_tFzkOZ-L8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://uncle-remus.library.link/resource/o_tFzkOZ-L8/">The war that saved my life</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://uncle-remus.library.link/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://uncle-remus.library.link/">Uncle Remus Regional Library System</a></span></span></span></span></div>